KOH WEI JIE
Wei Jie is a Senior Legal Associate of the firm, working alongside Dr Leong.
Wei Jie’s primary area of practice is in Intellectual Property law, with emphasis on civil litigation and management of Intellectual Property portfolios.
He has acted as the lead counsel and co-counsel in numerous infringement and invalidation suits before the High Court as well as the Appellate Courts.
On the non-contentious side, Wei Jie manages the IP portfolios of local and foreign clients. Enriched by his experience in litigation, Wei Jie adds an insightful touch to the full range of services provided to his clients – ranging from IP creation all the way to commercialization and monetization of IP.
Wei Jie has also been invited as a speaker in seminars and workshops to share his knowledge on IP and the relevant laws to companies, organisations and institutions.
Being young and driven, Wei Jie takes pride in his well-researched strategies and updated legal knowledge. He is also known for giving his clients prompt, personal attention in regard of matters entrusted to him, in line with the value of NATL as a boutique firm.
Aside from his IP practice, Wei Jie is also capable of catering to his client’s needs and to assist on non-IP-related dispute resolutions and advisory, which include areas of employment, industrial relations, commercial and corporate, real estate, construction, etc.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons.), Liverpool
- Certificate in Legal Practice, Malaysia
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
- Acted as the lead counsel for a major foreign worker management system provider in Malaysia for multiple trademark infringement / passing-off / copyright infringement suits in the High Court and the Appellate Court
- Acted as a co-counsel for a technology company in a patent infringement / patent invalidation suit.
- Acted as the lead counsel for a cosmetic company in a trademark infringement / passing-off suit
- Assisted on various intellectual property raids representing an international technology conglomerate
- Drafted patent licensing agreements for local and foreign companies, including construction companies, technology companies, etc.
- Drafted software development agreements for tech-startups
- Prepared Infringement / Invalidation Opinions and Freedom to Operate reports for patents
- Managed IP portfolios for local and foreign companies, including a multinational brewery conglomerate, a major foreign worker management system provider in Malaysia, a multinational retail chain, etc.
- Prepared the registration of franchise on behalf of a European franchisor
- Provided advisory on IP protection, compliance, commercialization and franchising.
- Provided trainings and workshops to professors and researchers of a university regarding IP protection of research outcome.
- Provided trainings and workshops to companies in respect of IP protection and risk management
- Gave a seminar to students at a local college on the introduction to IP
- Engaged as an external, lead counsel in an Appellate Court matter on constructive dismissal dispute.
- Acted as a co-counsel in an Appellate Court matter on labour disputes.
- Acted as a co-counsel in an Appellate Court matter on EPF related disputes.
- Acted as a co-counsel in an Appellate Court matter on construction disputes on sandmining.
- Provided advisory on various mergers and acquisitions transactions.
- Provided advisory on regulatory compliance in various industries.
- Drafted various agreements to facilitate transactions between SMEs.